Health Educator (2 Positions Available)
Job Title: Health Educator
Salary: $17.50 per hour
Job Type: Full-time (Non-Exempt)
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
- Using motivational interviewing strategies to educate patients and the public regarding care coordination, chronic disease prevention and self-management, and follow up with patients.
- Provides support for behavior change using brief action planning, motivational interviewing, self-management support (SMS), self-management education for awareness, understanding health goals and effort for healthy living.
- Provides Gathering of Native American (GONA) cultural traditional group facilitation to participants/students with education and resources regarding nutrition, and healthy lifestyle.
- Teaches patients how to monitor and track their health to make positive lasting changes in their self-care behaviors.
- Contacts participants via phone, email, or mail regarding follow-up on missed sessions and other needed data for program completion.
- Plans, develops, and presents quality health education, training programs, and lessons ensuring delivery of such activities contains goals and objectives, proper format, and is prepared ahead of time.
- Teaches skills such as problem solving, realistic goal setting, and action planning utilizing evidence-based curriculums such as CDC’s Honoring the Gift of Heart Health, American Diabetes Association Diabetes Care and Education, and/or CDC’s National Diabetes Prevention Program Lifestyle Balance.
- Maintains and provides shared decision making and collaborative active approach to communicating with patients/clients, health care team, such as medical providers, nursing staff, fitness specialist, and Registered Dietitian, within our NACA Family Health Center on patient/client case management and patient/client referrals
- Conducts outreach to establish and maintain relationships with traditional practitioners, health providers, local schools, community agencies for presentations, referral, networking, billing, etc.
- Utilizes RPMS to track patient/groups screening data, outcomes, reports, and other resources for program evaluation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health or Human Services related field. One (1) to two (2) years of experience in chronic disease education, health coaching, and/or public health related field, preferably in a health care setting. Level I Fingerprint Clearance, CPR/First Aid, and HIPAA Certification. Possess a valid Arizona Driver’s License. Must pass a criminal background investigation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of teaching/learning principles and concepts, and/or behavior change models to facilitate an individual’s self-management skills with their chronic disease.
- Diabetes competencies, knowledge, and skills (with glucometer, insulin starts, foot exams, etc.).
- Strong skills in communication, preferably strong interpersonal skills as applied to interactions with staff, supervisor, patients, community, and other agencies, sufficient to exchange or convey information.
- Ability to work with an Electronic Health Record system to follow patient care and pull reports.
- Possess skills as they relate to fitness and lifestyle class instruction.
*Must complete and submit an NACA, Inc. Employment Application, Letter of Interest, Resume and Transcripts. Application can be obtained through website www.nacainc.org. Any question, please contact Human Resources at (928)526-2968. Employer exercises EEOC and Indian preference in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, US Code, Sections 44-46, 472 and 272).